A. DIES DIALOGUE EVENT
The event was held on 6th, 7th and 9th September 2021 on Blended Platform and Hosted by Bomet University College under the theme: The Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) Global Pandemic on Quality of Training, Learning Research and Community Service in the Universities/Higher Education Institutions in East Africa Community Partner States.
Target Group: Representatives for East Africa Commission/Regulatory Bodies; University: Vice Chancellors and Principals, Deputy Vice Chancellors and Deputy Principals in-charge of Academic and Quality Assurance Directors/Coordinators/Officers from East Africa and Representatives for Inter-University Council of East Africa (IUCEA)
Outcome: This Dialogue event for East Africa Higher Education Stakeholders provided a platform for dialogue on impact and implication of COVID-19 on quality of training, learning, research, and community service and came up with implementable strategies for the present and future of university/higher education in the East Africa region continued learning training and research during and post-COVID-19 era.
B. 2ND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
The Conference was held on 29th and 30th November 2022 and was graced by Amb. Simon Nabukwesi, the then Principal Secretary, State Department for University Education and Research who also represented the Cabinet Secretary.
Conference Theme: Building on Institutional Resilience for Sustainable Development
1. Curriculum Reform and Innovation for Sustainable Development.
2. Integrating Sustainable Technologies in Education Environment.
Pure and Applied Sciences
1. Novelty in Agriculture, Environmental Conservation and Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) for Sustainable Development.
2. Intersections between Agriculture and Environmental Sciences in Fostering Sustainable Development.
Business and Entrepreneurship
1. Business Innovation and Entrepreneurship for Sustainable Development.
2. Building Institutional Resilience in Accounting, Finance and Supply Chain for Sustainable Development
Arts and Social Sciences
1. Contextualization of Gender and Diversity for Sustainable Development.
2. Building on Institutional Resilience through Ethics, Religion, Politics and Power for Sustainable Development
1. Prof. Richard Mibey, Professor Emeritus, University of Nairobi. Prof Mibey gave a Keynote address on “Innovation beyond obstacles”.
2. Prof. Sascha Rohn, Technical University of Berlin, Germany gave a Keynote presentation on “Functional Food Compounds from various Food Matrices.”
3. Prof. Rose Odhiambo, Associate Professor of Immunology and Parasitology, Global Health and Gender Mainstreaming Specialist Lecturing at the Faculty of Science, Egerton University gave a Keynote Speech on “Gender and Diversity for Sustainable Development in Kenyan Institutions”
4. Dr. Maurice Odondo, Chief Executive Officer at the Kenya Education Management Institute made a Keynote Presentation on “Developing Leadership Capacity as Agents of Change in Schools: CBC Experience in Kenya”
5. Prof. Hellen Inyega, Associate Professor and Consultant, Language, Literacy Early Childhood and Special Education, The University Of Nairobi gave a Keynote address on “Integrating Sustainable Technologies in Higher Education Environments”
i. Launch and Exhibition of Herbal Infused Soap and Sanitizers to improve livelihood and hygiene
ii. Exhibition of Customer Feedback System as a Process Re-engineering
C. 1ST BOMET UNIVERSITY INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
The Conference was held on 13th and 14th July 2021 and was graced by Mr. Eyal David the then Deputy Ambassador of Israeli in Nairobi.
Conference Theme: Towards a Sustainable Green Economy
Key Note Speakers:
1. Prof. Shem Wandiga, Professor of Chemistry, University of Nairobi “Build Back a Better Kenya and Africa”
2. Prof. Jackson Too “Curriculum Reforms and Innovation for 21st Century and Beyond”
3. Mr. Peter Odhengo “Sustainable Climate Financing: Securing the Environment for the Current and Future Generations”
4. Dr. Moses Mwangi Thiga “Harnessing Artificial Intelligence for the Earth”
SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION (STI) STRATEGY
Bomet University College Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) Strategy has been developed to align the University College in its endeavor to mainstream Science, Technology and Innovation in its processes. The Strategy document provides a clear roadmap on how the University plans to address specific Strategic Issues arising from the University Approved Strategic Plan of 2018-2023 whose implementation is in its final year. The strategy is further guided by the regulatory requirements of National Commission for Science, Technology and Innovation (NACOSTI). The requirements expect Universities to report on research and development as one of the means by which institutions can apply new knowledge to experience future growth by improving and expanding their operations. This Strategy is therefore a critical tool that will guide Bomet University College in advancing and mainstreaming STI into the University’s operations, programmes and projects in line with provisions and aspirations of the STI Act of 2013. This Strategy will serve as a critical framework for achieving not only the STI goals but also that of Bomet University College and will undoubtedly render a new impetus to the realization of our Vision and Mission. The Strategy addresses some of the pivotal issues that will drive research and innovation in a manner that all the stakeholders will find prudent. Through the Strategy, it is expected that the University College will empower the Region, Country and International Community through Quality Teaching and Learning, Research, Innovation and Dissemination of output in Outreach Programmes that support the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals, the Africa Agenda 2063, the Constitution of Kenya 2010 and Kenya’s Vision 2030.